[IPk] The youngest pump user ( Sept 9, 1999 )

Here is the translation of the 5 month old youngest pump user. For
future reference, it has a permanent home at:

The youngest pump user ( Sept 9, 1999 )
(translated by Dr. Wolfgang Baer, director Insulin Pumpers)

Laura was born in early July in Berlin; Five weeks later she was
diagnosed with Diabetes. Since  August she has become the youngest
insulin pump user in the world. In an interview with Diabetes-Journal
Dr. Thomas Danne says: ' When Laura was five weeks old she got a fever
of 40 C (104 F). Her doctor sent her to the holpital where among other
symtoms a blood sugar level of 1000mg/dl was measured. She imediately
received intravenous Insulin. After four days someone from the clinic
called and because she could not tolerate the glucose level
fluctuations. Thereafter Laura was transfered to the Berliner Charite
in the department where Dr. Danne is the head physician. What was
done? In the Berliner Charite Laura was put on the pump imediately.
"This worked perfectly." Said Danne. With a Minimed-Pump using
Insulin Lispro (Humalog); laura got a base ratre of (2.5 u insulin
per 24 hours) and after eating an extra dose depending on the (meal
sic..) If one were to use subcutaneous insulin one would have to
administer shots 6 times daily during meals on top of the base rate"
says the chief physician. The pump is attached to her diaper, and the
tube is long enough so that she can sit in the bath while the pump
stays outside. In the world literature there are less than 100
reported cases of diabetis immediately after birth. Laura is probably
the youngest pump user. We know of no one younger. In the last few
years Charite treated four post birth Diabetic cases. But with all of
them insulin injection treatments were difficult. I remember telling
myself " next time we will try the pump". In parallel Danne and his
team decided to try the pump as well. The primary goal with such a
small patient is to avoid low sugar levels- one aims for a slightly
elevated level. Since Laure uses the pump her sugar level never
dropped below normal, the lowest levels were 56. Sometimes it has
gone to 300 but never over 400 mg/dl. " With children with prenatal
Diabetes who do not use the pump extremes of over 500 are common. The
normal dosage cycle are too long " for this Laura does not have
sufficient body fat, We therefore have a special setup" explains
Danne. Every three days the rate is adjusted by a nurse who visits
the home. Also the insulin mixture is specially prepared for Laura,
since U-40 Insulin is too concentrated for the little girl. By the
way 30 years ago twin sisters in the Berlin Charite were dignosed
with Diabetes which disappeared a year after birth and later returned
This case was so unusual that we still rememder them. Laura is the
daughter of one of the twins.