Re: [IPk] Pumps and high temperatures

Hi Paul
There are loads of people in the US who survive hot temps. quite
happily with their pumps.

I think you just have to be careful not to expose it to direct
sunlight where possible, e.g. always wear it in its case, and maybe
wear it under your shirt or something if possible.

if you only fill it half full, the insulin will only be there for
about 3-4 days and you should be OK. I think it's mainly prolonged
exposure to high temps that would affect it more. Sometimes my pump
has got quite hot for short periods of time but the insulin has always
been fine.

The thing about infection is that the pump site will not be exposed to
germs as such because the tape is over it. So nothing can get into the
site until after you've removed the set. You might want to be careful
about old sites getting infected though if that is a problem. However, the hot temps could
make you more prone to infection generally. Some of us do loads of skin preparation before
inserting the set, some don't do anything at all. personaly i just
stick it into my skin as it is. If you're prone to a lot of sweating
you might need to experiment with the different tapes etc. to find
something that sticks more firmly. Basically, it's all just a matter
of experimentation.

Unless your job involves some particular exposure to germs etc, I
don't think the fact that it's a developing country or whatever should
make a difference. My mum is from Kenya and I have spent some time there (as a diabetic,
though not as a pumper - yet) as has my dad (ditto) and never had any
particular problems with infection etc.

Hope this helps