Re: [IPk] Sensor findings

> But certainly a pump hypo is very different from an MDI hypo. On a pump the
> hypo is usually either fairly mild or you can quantify it. But on MDI, the
> insulin mismatch could be quite great, so as fast as you raise your bg with
> glucose, it carries on falling. I've always presumed that is why they
> recommend treating a hypo with a fairly large amount of carb.
> John

You're right, John, a hypo caused by long-acting insulin could go on
for much longer. But did it often do so in your experience? I can't
recollect many ocasions when that happened to me. but maybe i was just
lucky. Nighttime ones may of course be the exception here.

Of course, with the pump you also have the option of turning it
off. it works for me (when the hypo is only very mild) because the action of Humalog is incredibly
fast. I
had an interesting experience last night. I had to teach a beginners
dance class all on my own. Half way through I began to feel
hypo. However, I couldn't stop and eat some glucose tabs (well I
suppose i could but I didn't want to abandon the class as it was their
first lesson. So I just turned my pump off and carried on. And held my
breath hoping I would be OK. maybe it was the adrenaline flowing but
somehow I came out of it OK by the end of the class (and I don't think
I talked too much rubbish!). It made me think about
situation where you really don't want to be hypo though. Easy if
you're taking part in a class to stop for a few minutes. Not so easy
when you have 20 people who've paid good money to get a lesson - they
want you to teach them, not sit in a corner munching glucose tabs and
talking incoherently!