Re: [IPk] Sensor findings

> One of the most common things that the glucose sensor studies are showing is
> that most people over correct hypos and end up shooting up too high and
> staying high for several hours post correction of a low event .

Hmm, you don't need a glucose sensor to demonstrate that!

That was one of the things I meant to take the nurse to tasl about at
the BDA thing in Oxford. In the hypo workshop, she advised that you
should correct with glucose and then eat a snack afterwards (the
standard advice "to prevent the Bg falling again"). In theory the only
reason you should need to do that would be if your basal level /
long-acting insulin is too high. For years I followed this advice by
using both short and long-acting carbs to treat a hypo, with the
result that I always ended up too high.

However, I often tend to bounce and end up high anyway, regardless of
whether I treat with just one or two glucose tabs or not. So it may
also be that people aren't necessarily overtreating, just that their body is
naturally responding to the hypo.

But I agree that it is a common problem. The question is, why has it
taken the medical profession so long to realise?

Di