Re: [IPk] Pump Choices

Hi Clare,

Wow, unprecedented choice, good to see!
Need to know what's important to you - do you want integration with CGM
(now or future)? is a primary one.
What do you have now - would you be more comfortable with just the latest
version of what you have?
Would you prefer one with a remote you can bolus from? (I know you ladies
like to not have to fish it out of a dress to operate!) :-)
How important is cannula choice?

Generally, a few things I've picked up from readings, opinion mostly since
I've had MM515 > animas vibe >T:slim, although I did do some research when
they were developing the ypsopump around whether to use a reservoir or
prefilled carts.

1 - quite small and felt basic, touch screen.
2 - known for problems with it and it's handset (may have been sorted now
though)
3 - Seen at event stands and generally seems Chinese 'budget' option,
tubeless patch pump
4 - Very long in the tooth but bulletproof, can be used for
integration/loop via DIY route
5 - pass, no info but omnipod is self contained so no on pump control once
applied and cannot be removed/resited, also no choice of cannula, if it
doesn't suit you're stuck, and if you forget/loose PDM controller you can't
control pump.
6 - T:slim is what I have now, great pump and integrates with Dexcom G6,
has had 2 firmware updates, first to enable basal IQ which can
lower/suspend to prevent hypos, and then to control IQ which can also
adjust basal and bolus to prevent hypers.  Future proofed to an extent as
you can update without having to change pump.  Has a unique cartridge with
insulin bag in and is only officially approved for humalog and novoslow
(although as usual I'm using fiasp and apidra in it with no problems!)
7/10 - Quite small Korean pumps, notably they work with the open source
community and don't keep everything proprietary like the others, so can
have apps etc. community developed, able to control pump from phone and use
AAPS etc. to loop. Takes an unusual 3.6v lithium battery.
8 - Patch pumps (set of 2 one to wash and one to wear!) with own handset,
smaller 200u carts, same comments as for omnipod.
9 - Standard MM, earlier model to 670G, some have had lots of problems,
some seem to do well, large!, can link to MM sensors for low suspend don't
see a reson to choose over 670G which superceded it.
11 - Latest model, has low/high suspend/adjust when used with MM CGM, same
large frame.

Some comparisons covering most of these:

www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Insulin-pump-table-May-2018.pdf
integrateddiabetes.com/updated-insulin-pump-comparisons-and-reviews/

Good luck!