Re: [IPk] Re: fasting to fix basal rates etc - weirder still

Hi Nanette

Something occurs to me, as I also find that BGs vary whether or not I fast
(although they vary anyway, so it's a little hard to figure it out!). My
highest insulin need (highest basal rate 1.1unit) is from 8:30am to 11:30am
- and if I eat breakfast (which I usually don't), my basal needs to be
lowered in that timeframe.

What occurs to me is (and I don't know the technical or medical
words/expressions, so this may be clumsy) that I have always been told that
exogenous (injected) insulin is always more effective when given WITH food.
I wonder what the mechanics of that are, and if it's true. It certainly
seems true in me - hence if I have a high BG, giving an enormous bolus
works far better in me if I also eat something (even if it is non-carb, but
carb helps more).

Any thoughts?

Tori (I was taking black cohosh tabs - Remifemin - for an early
peri-menopause until recently, another isoflavone, and found also that my
insulin sensitivity decreased when I stopped taking them .... But I hadn't
made the connection until you mentioned it here!)