[IPk] Carbs, different basals for fasting, etc.

Hi all,

I didn't mean to imply any great precision with my figures.  I'm not
even sure that I remembered the percentages and time scales correctly.
Plus, of course, I didn't mention the glycaemic index which can make a
high carb dish of 300calories either whiz your bgs up (brown rice with
stir-fried veggies) or still be there next week (porridge made with
skimmed milk).

On the basals with or without food question:  if you have a different
basal rate for 'with food' and 'without food', the way to tell if you
are right, or giving yourself a bit of basal when you bolus, is to check
that your carb-to-insulin rate is constant for small meals and large
meals (must have the same kind of food, and same carb/fat/protein
balance, of course).

I do worry about Louise's diet:
Breakfast - 2 soya flour cheese scones (12g CHO)
Lunch - tofu and vegetable stir fry
Dinner - lean meat, loads of veg, 2 egg sized new potatoes

Putting a lot of oil in the stir fry, and loads of cheese in the scones,
I can't make that add up to more than around 120g protein (500
calories), 100g fat (around 900 calories), and 35g CHO (140 cal) -
perhaps it is the soya flour that is throwing me - I don't know if it
differs significantly from wheat flour. I will assume that you are
drinking, and getting a couple of hundred cals. - still doesn't make
enough for most people.  And is 50% calories from fat ....  Is this
right?  What do your figures come out as?

Cheese scones for breakfast sound very nice - do you make them fresh, or
freeze a batch, or what?

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)