Re: [IPk] Re: Pump Holiday, and an idea

>I know that occasionally people on this list present BG records, and
>ask for help problem solving how to change basal or bolus rates for the
>better, and I wonder whether it is possible, without treading on
>professional territory, or generally on dangerous ground - after all
>our lives depend on basal rates and boluses being correct - to take
>advantage of all our combined expertise gathered slowly and painfully
>over the years, and to expand this function of the list.

OK Nanette - I take you up on your offer! *And I accept full legal
responsibility for any changes I make based on info received here*

My BG results are all here http://www.webshowcase.net/diabetes/archive/

My basal rates are
00:00 0.7
02:00 0.9
04:00 1.1
07:00 0.9
12:00 0.7
13:00 0.6
14:00 0.4
16:00 0.5
17:00 0.7
18:00 0.9
19:00 1.1
21:00 0.8

I will make an appalling confession - I have *never* formally set or
verified my basal rates. These rates were set by the diabetes clinic next
door to my rehabilitation clinic where I enjoyed a 3-week stay in Oct 2002.
They were able to glean info from my BG results and set the basal rates
accordingly. I'm ashamed to say that I did not understand how they made
their decisions. But I suspect a lot of it was "based on experience". And
the following morning I woke refreshed with seemingly perfect BGs. Since
then I have done very little with them, save decreasing all the nighttime
basals by 0.1. Changing clock times has certainly not helped. I've reached
the conclusion it all needs readjusting again, and I don't know what to do.
My Freiburg diabetes clinic think everything is "just fine". My wife wants
me to formally transfer to the Bad Krozingen clinc who set these rates -
but I've just been too lazy to do that.

Boluses - I just eyeball the food and take what I think it needs. Shocking
And corrections: increasingly increasing amounts as my BG rises. Could do
better, I know.

Anyhow, that's all for now -

mailto:email @ redacted