Re: [IPk] Re: Islet Cell transplants

Hi Helen

Hmmmmm long story :0)).  Similarly to you I've been brittle for the past 5
years and recently gone on the pump for a 6 month trial.  The criteria for
islet transplant is:- (don't quote me on any of these)
poor or brittle control for at least 3 years
kidneys work well (you have to have a test to check em). If they don't they
have to look at a double (pancreas and kidney) transplant.
loss of hypo awareness (another test)
have been monitored for 6 days to prove brittleness (carry something similar
to the pump around)
Be referred to a major Diabetic Centre such as Newcastle, Kings in London,
Leicester or Edinburgh.
Have a supportive Diabetologist with an interest in islet transplants.
Try out the new Lantus (Glargene) insulin.
Try a pump for at least 6 months.