RE: [IPk] Going to a talk on Insulin pumps tonight, Cheltenham DUK Local volunteer Group meeting

Hi Karen and Wendy

  I met Christian last night and he was very nice and a very lively character
certainly, a very good
advertisement for a pump.

 Unfortunately there had been some mess up, with the room where we were all
supposed to be meeting. It was
 locked up and in total darkness. There has always been someone else using the
premises before at previous
 meetings and they knew that we had booked the hall. Anyway we all went down to
the pub which was
 Weatherspoons which wasn't really ideal, rather noisy, but we managed. John
Hughes from Disetronic was
 there too and I had a long chat to him, in fact I spent most of time talking to
John about pumps and
 doctors who don't like them, but know little about them anyway. I was in touch
with John, about this
 time last year but unfortunately we are still no nearer to getting a pump.
However I am very impressed
 with the staff at Disetronic and they have been a great help to me, even if we
haven't got nearer to that
pump yet.
 All he told me just convinced me that this is the best way to go, but then I
didn't really need any more
 convincing. I think that last nights meeting was also very helpful for a member
of my local group who
 has a son of 11 who was diagnosed only two months ago. She is a nurse and has
dealt with people with
 diabetes in the past but said she was totally overwhelmed by how it really was
to live with it 24/7. She
 was also still very raw and tearful and I didn't know quite what to say. I
think that its harder for a
 child of 11 to deal with diabetes than it was for Sasha who was only 4 years
old. Anyway she was very
 pleased to hear that a pump could be a possibility one day, if her son wanted
one.

Jackie