RE: [IPk] amy's progress so far

If I could manage on 4 injections a day with the same level
of control that I have with a pump now I would go back in a
second - so it is always worth trying.  I still rather miss
my pen I must admit.

As discussed several times on this site a good HbA1c does not
mean good control.  If your daughter shows a lot of swings
with 4 injections a day then you still have a case for a pump
even with a good HbA1c.

I funded my pump myself but my local PCT fund my consumables
(after a lot of letters, phone calls and shouting).  It can
be done that way but should be the last resort I think,
because if MDI does not work for you daughter, your PCT
should pay.

I can't comment on hospitals except to say that although I
live in Berks I choose (with my GP's support) to be seen in
London.  I used to go to St Thomas but switched to Guys when
I went on a pump (large pump clinic).  There is choice but
you do have to fight for it.  I also changed my GP once when
I landed with a particularly unsupportive one. Sometimes
stroppy pays!

Beverley Smith
Consultant Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader