[IPk] Re:Cyprus & Various

Firstly, Cyprus.
My pump & I have visited Cyprus about 20 times in past 5 years. Have flown
BA & Cyprus Airways with no problems - in fact only good news. On one Cyprus
Airways flight fellow passenger (newly diagnosed Type 1) had carefully
packed all equipment in hold. My ability to supply insulin, sterile syringe,
blood testing kit and wipe earned me a bottle of Champagne.
Injecting or removing/inserting caused no problems - just be a little
discrete - and Cypriot pharmacists are very helpful if you have any
problems. Cyprus is a beautiful and welcoming Country that I would recommend
to everyone. The people are really friendly and if you are lucky you will
have some "Melissa moments" giving you the opportunity to explain the
wonders of the pump.
In the heat you just need to be careful. I find insulin requirements usually
half, but you just keep on testing & reacting accordingly. I have never had
a hypo in Cyprus, and always felt safe. Am back there on business in January
and will warn my colleagues in Limassol of a possible pumpers invasion.

Re Funding:
Surely time has come to get some political action. I know I am "lucky" in
that I got my funding without problem. But with 20+ years pumping and doing
more experiments than I care to recall (anyone else done the water loading
test? Nightmare time!) I feel I have earned it. But that does not mean that
all the totally merited cases we hear about on this list do not deserve
action. I plan to call John (two jags, 4 houses, Dep. PM & Type 2) Prescott
and see if he can help. The deliberate evasion by some PCTs is frankly
criminal. Does not help that some Doctors/Consultants appear so negative but
how many of them are Type 1? The statistic I think needs researching is: How
many Medics with type 1 use a pump? I understand that in USA it is very high
but now cannot find statistics. Can anyone help with this?

And finally:
Xmas is coming. Any other London based Pumpers want to meet up and have a
chat, a few drinks & nibbles? - ok, the chat & nibbles are optional! Please
post any interest. Happy to try & organize near Paddington so Oxford based
drinkers, opps sorry pumpers can attend!

Ian Grant