Re: [IPk] Re: Pump Holiday

Hi Julian,

I second what Michael and Melissa have said.  Also, once on a
transatlantic flight my husband and I were allocated separate seats (our
agent had for some reason thought we both wanted aisle seats, rather
than seats together.

I said to the check in clerk 'I have a medical condition which, it is
remotely possible, need assistance from my husband during the flight'.
Nothing more than that, and the 'impossible to reseat you' becomes
'don't worry, we have two together'.  Do this, if you are unable to get
seated together any other way: you take the window, she takes the next
along.  This gives you very effective screening from everyone else,
should you need to change sets or inject by syringe, mid-flight.

I often fly alone, and wonder if I'll get curious glances from my
neighbours about bg measurement - but they are always far more occupied
with their own stuff!

Have a great holiday!

(who thinks that was the only time she's used diabetes to get something
she didn't have to have since she used it to walk to the front of the
school dinner queue)

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>Hi Pat
> Thanks for your reply. I take your comments on board. I think the two
 >underlying reasons for thinking of time off the pump were: 1) I am finding it
 >little difficult to sort out my basals. Even when I fast and adjust they
 >within a couple of days. Maybe I'm going through that male almost forty
 >2) With the way things are lately in the world and after yesterdays incident
>Turkey, what are people going to think about someone pressing buttons on a
>device attached to themselves on a plane. also I am not to happy to spend lots
>of the time near the pool and in it with a pump strapped to my waist. I would
>like to enjoy Cyprus and I think the pool would be quite significant in this
>Does anyone have any comments/advice on these issues?
>contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)