Re: [IPk] Which infusion set?

Dear Steve,

Do you have saline? If not, I would caution you against putting in either of
the infusion sets until you have saline in the pump. If there isn't
something liquid (saline, insulin, chemo drugs, morphine, whatever else a
pump can get used for) flowing IN, then blood (as blood is wont to do,
according to the circulatory system and fluid dynamics) may well try to flow
OUT. You will get a red line of blood in your tubing (or at least the bit of
plastic sitting on top of your skin will turn red)...both scary-looking and
a waste of an infusion set. That's my experience, though I will admit that
in many ways I am a weird chick.

As for which set, something to be pumped notwithstanding, very few people
I've met (except for Pat!) have liked Sof-sets best. I found Silhouettes all
right for about 5 years before I switched to Quick-sets.  I don't plan to
look back, but a Silhouette may frustrate you less than a Sof-set in the
first instance. An insertion angle of something between 35 and 45 degrees
was always more comfortable for me than 30 degrees, but YMMV.