  From: Tony O'Sullivan
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 5:16 PM
  Subject: Re: [IPk] Re:breakthrough

  Hi all, as the attachment was removed, I was advised to include the article
in
  the body of a message. If you've covered the ground already, sorry to
burden
  you, although reading the article was hard work and I am still not sure of
the
  full extent of the implications for this research. It is something big
though,
  and may pull the rug from under multi-billion dollars worth of islet cell
  transplant research over the next couple of years.

  Tony

  An unexpected breakthrough in diabetes research: can healthy islets be
  regenerated from spleen cells?

  People with type 1 diabetes have been looking forward to a possible cure
from
  two sources: islet cell transplantation, or a closed-loop pump system.
  According to an announcement made in the journal Science on World Diabetes
  Day, a third possibility for reversing type one diabetes has now emerged.

  The latest research from Massachusetts centres on the immune process which
  destroys our beta cells in the first place. Researchers already knew that
they
  could reverse this damage in mice with diabetes by a combination treatment
  with a protein and selected cells from the spleen (the spleen is a small
organ
  just below the rib cage on the left. It is involved in making and storing
  blood cells). How and why this treatment was effective remained a mystery.
In
  particular, was the effect simply a reversal of the autoimmune damage to
islet
  cells, or were new islet cells actually being generated by this treatment?
The
  purpose of the study was to examine the difference in behaviour of live
  against irradiated spleen cells.

  The team injected cells from the spleen of healthy male mice (donors), into
  female mice with severe diabetes (hosts). They injected some live cells,
and
  some which had been irradiated. They protected the diabetic mice from the
  effects of hyperglycaemia by placing a capsule containing islet cells
beside
  one kidney for the first 40 days in one group and 120 days in another.

       Live cells injected
       Irradiated cells injected

        40 day implanted islet cell support
       6/9 (67%) mice maintained normal blood glucose
       0/8 maintained normal blood glucose

        120 day implanted islet cell support
       11/12 (92%) had normal blood glucose for 6 months or more
       11/13 (85%) had normal blood glucose for 6 months or more

  Table 1: glycaemic control achieved among diabetic mice with varying
  combinations of splenic cell therapy

  The results show that both treatments were able to generate normal
functioning
  islets, but the live cells did so much faster. In addition there was little
or
  no immune reaction around the new islets generated by live cells, while
there
  was some reactions seen around those generated by irradiated cells.

  In a separate experiment, pre-diabetic mice were injected with similar
splenic
  cells. As previously, new pancreatic islets grew, but in addition the
  remaining host pancreatic islets were spared from further destruction. All
of
  an untreated control group went on to develop diabetes.

  What does this research tell us?

  Want this study shows is that in mice at least, injecting donor spleen
cells
  caused these diabetic mice to develop new healthy functioning islets in
their
  pancreas. This seems to be happening due to mutation in the donor cells.
There
  was little or no immune reaction, and the treatment seems to reverse the
  autoimmune damage to islets in prediabetic mice.

  While it is early days to read the implications of this research beyond the
  diabetic mouse, there are important potential implications for people with
  type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The main implication for type 1 is that it may
be
  possible to regenerate healthy islets from donor spleen cells to a point
where
  normal glucose control is achieved and the diabetes is essentially cured. A
  second implication is that adult cells may after all prove to be as
effective
  as those derived from embryos, providing huge ethical relief to the medical
  profession and to people with diabetes. The protective effect of this
  treatment in prediabetic mice also offers some hope to people with type 2
  diabetes, or in the early stages of type one. This is a very novel and
  exciting development, and we in Diabetes Ireland will be keeping a close
eye
  on it!

  Reference:  Islet Regeneration During the Reversal of Autoimmune Diabetes
in
  NOD Mice. Shohta Kodama, Willem K|htreiber, Satoshi Fujimura, Elizabeth A.
  Dale, Denise L. Faustman Volume 302, Number 5648, Issue of 14 Nov 2003, pp.
  1223-1227.

  Full paper available online from:  http://www.sciencemag.org