[IPk] Medtronic & MRI

In defense of Medtronic, my black leather pump cover for my now "old but
faithful" 506 is falling to bits. After 5 years wear & tear - and not one
problem with pump - has done pretty well. Anyway I called Medtronic late
last Friday - new leather cover delivered to my office this afternoon,
Tuesday. Not bad I feel.

Over 10 years ago I volunteered to do 2 MRI Brain scans - first with Bg
below 2 and second with Bg between 15 & 20. Researchers wanted to see how
brain behaved at different Bgs. Have to say I went into St Thomas's London
the night before and took pump off. I was fitted with 4 tubes, one for
intravenous insulin, one for glucose, one for dye and one to extract blood
for testing. That way they got my Bg to exact point they wanted. At 2 I was
just OK, I had a button to press if I was worried and they were testing Bg
every 5 mins. I understand I got as low as 1.4 and could still send
messages.I was in Scanner for 45 minutes and only three problems:
a) The noise
b) The boredom
c) The cold.
With high Bg I did feel sick throughout but survived it.
I too have beautiful 3D pictures of my brain - it was great to discover that
there was something between my ears other than fresh air!

On both occasions as soon as the experiment ended I was told my last Bg, put
pump on and adjusted accordingly. After low Bg test had first Mars bar in 25
years to remind myself why I hated them anyway.
Only problem was that they didn't seem to learn anything useful from the
Moral of story is that MRI scan isn't so bad and my experience is that they
look after you very well. If there is anything you are concerned about -
ask. Have to say I was really chuffed with pictures of my beautiful brain

Ian Grant