Re: [IPk] MRI Scan

Hi Joyce,

I haven't had as many MRI scans as John, but I did have one about 18 months
ago to help a friend with a neuroscience research project. In addition to
what John has advised, drawing from experience to do with surgery under
local anaesthetic (during which I did keep my pump connected, however) I'd
recommend a bg test 30 minutes before you're due to disconnect and again
right when you do disconnect. Two tests, spaced 30 mins. apart, will
indicate whether your bg is on a downward trend. For instance, if you're 6.5
mmol/L for test 1 and 6.0 right before the MRI, I should think you'd coast
through the procedure without a hypo (as your basal rate will be effectively
0.0 for the duration of the scan) but if your bg were to go from 8 to 7 in
the 30 minutes before the MRI, I'd say 10 g carbs right before you left the
ante-room wouldn't hurt. If you finish the scan with a bg closer to 9
because of the carbs without insulin, you can correct that more easily than
you can reschedule an MRI buggered by a hypo.

Good luck. I hope they show you the pretty coloured picture of your brain!

Type 1 10+ years; MiniMed pumper 7+ years