Re: [IPk] MRI Scan

>Can any one tell me the procedure for MRI scan re pump.
> I am having a scan on Thursday, do I bolus (depending on BS)and then
>dis-connect, how much, supposing the scan lasts for say 1 hour? I have not
>dis-connected for more than a few minutes while I take a shower.

Hi Joyce -

I've been blessed with 5 MRI scans over the last 12 months. You are correct
that pumps should not be worn while in the machine, as the enormous
magnetic fields the scanner produces can potentially blow up any electronic
circuitry in a pump. I use Humalog, and I find in me that my BG will remain
stable for up to an hour if I disconnect my pump. So for the scan I just
take off my pump, leave it in the ante-room, and reconnect after the scan.
When I reconnect afterwards, I might bolus an extra unit for the basal I've
missed. Better to bolus afterwards than bolus before, since if you go hypo
during the scan, you might have to hit the emergency stop button...

Good luck. I'm a bit of a techie, and I rather enjoyed the experience of
being wheeled in and out of a rattling thudding MRI scanner :-)

mailto:email @ redacted