[IPn] about insulin pumpers

I thought perhaps I would put the pledge drives in context. If you
are a public radio listener, then you know that pledge drives take an
inordinate amount of air time. Several time a day there are pledge
breaks that last anywhere from 15 minutes to as much as 30 minutes or
more, EVERYDAY during the drive. This goes on until the funding goals
are reached or exceeded. I'm not fond of pledge drives and am mindful
that they can be annoying. During Insulin Pumpers quarterly pledge
drives, messages to the list are limited to less than one message day
-- that takes a few seconds to read at the most. It is a necessary
evil that this service must pay its bills. I'd be more than happy to
forgo the bucks raised in this manner if there were another source of
funding, but I don't happen to be a zillionaire myself and have not
been able to get Bill Gates or his ilk to foot the bills. In the mean
time, the pledge drives must continue each quarter and go on until
the needed funds are raised to pay day to day expenses. The
alternative is to stop what we do. Sorry, I don't have another

Many of you may not realize that it takes a lot of effort behind the
scenes to keep Insulin Pumpers going. My highly visible efforts as
well at those of the admin staff mask the efforts of over 60
volunteers and a lot of hard work. Absent all that effort, I'm pretty
sure that chaos would prevail in our hugh mail forum and the content
of the web offering would not be nearly as good as it is. There much
more we could do for sure if there were additional funds available --
I have reams of material just waiting to be published, however, many
would agree that Insulin Pumpers presents a premier service to the
diabetes community. I'd like to keep it that way and improve things if

To date for this pledge drive, our members have kindly given a bit
over $1600. That will almost cover a months worth of day to day
operating expenses. For this quarter, that leaves ~$3400 to go. To
those that have contributed now and in the past, thank you for your
generosity. To those of you who have yet to make a contribution and
are financially able, I challenge you to help support this forum and
keep it healthy and financially strong. If you participate and feel
that Insulin Pumpers has helped you and you enjoy the support of your
fellow forum members, then make a contribution to support YOUR forum.
With over 4300 members we're talking about a penny and a half a day
if everyone would contribute. You probably lose more change than
that! If each member contributed just 40 cents a month -- less
than a buck!!, no fund raising would be needed to reach our goal. I
know that not everyone will do this, and to those of you who have
given more -- much more, you have my sincere thanks on behalf of all
the staff and members as well. So please won't the rest of you
consider making a contribution today. As soon as the goal is reached
for Fall, the pledge drive will end. I have no desire to continue it,
believe me.

To make a contribution, or a sustaining gift to Insulin Pumpers visit
the Insulin Pumpers donation page at:

Insulin Pumpers
558 Valley Way
Milpitas, CA 95035