Re: [IPk] Bolusing problems

On 8 Nov 2003 at 7:37, email @ redacted wrote:

>  I can't seem to get my head round the whole issue right now and am
> finding this side of it a lot harder than I anticipated! Partly, I
> think, due to the fact I've learned that not only CHO has to be counted,
> but protein and fat content, too. Even using the CHO contents on
> packets seems to make things go awry. I either hypo after or shoot
> sky-high. I am hopeless at maths (maths dyslexia)! Seriously, I have a
> major problem with maths and find it hard to calculate percentages of
> CHO to bolus, etc.

I asked the pump nurse about allowing for protein, fat and
fibre when Emily was being trained but she said not to
worry about them. She said to use an extended bolus or
split the dose over a longer period if Emily has a high fat
meal or something like pasta, pizza or curry. Does it make
much difference to the dose when you include them in the

We use a calculator unless it's an easy calculation like
dividing by 10 and we divide the total carbs by 10 (or 9,
or 7 depending on the meal) to find the number of units of
insulin. It seems easier than working out 0.5 units per 15g
CHO and it's easier to adjust the ratio up or down by 1 or
2g's per unit.

Mum to Emily aged 11, dx Oct '99
Novorapid x 4, Glargine x 1, D-Tron Plus pump from the 27th
Robert aged 13 dx Mar '03
Novomix 30 x 2 (+ Novorapid when hungry!),
and Matthew aged 8.