Re: [IPk] Sets and splitting doses

email @ redacted writes:

> Thanks Pat, I did suggest this to Emily but she didn't like
> the sound of twisting the needle <g>. She is inserting the
> Rapid sets without problems but the first insulin dose
> after a set change seems to hurt. Emily has also had some
> problems with sets at night. Two have become detached in
> just two weeks, a Tender and a Rapid.

Hiya Jos

It was me (like Pat said) that suggested twisting the needle until it pierces
the skin.  Now it sounds awful, but Danielle doesn't know I do this.  When it
is going in her tummy she does it herself and I suggested that she give it a
little twist.  She does it a bit (just a twist to anti-clockwise and then a
 bit clockwise) and it goes in very easy. When I do it in her bottom I twist it
first but with not much pressure so she can't feel anything.  If I just push
the set in, she hates it when it goes in all at once when it has broken the
 skin so I give it a little twist and then it goes in without the surge that
you jump.

Mum to Danielle aged 9, pumping since Nov 2002

PS:  I know what you mean about the Rapids.  We found them so easy to insert,
but twice the needle has come out and re-pricked her skin and we haven't
known until she has gone high, we checked the site and there was blood there.