Re: [IPk] Competitive Gymnastics

Hi Jackie
I think having a pump would make it a lot easier to control Sasha's blood
sugars for gymastics, especially afterwards where you could just reduce the
basal for a few hours or even turn it off. This is precisely one of the
reasons I got my pump, because of all the sport I do. If I exercise for more
than a couple of hours at a time, my BG drops dramatically a few hours later.
It still catches me out occasionally. But mostly I can just turn my pump down
and it's fine.

As for actually wearing the pump during gym, it might be possible for her
still to wear it. At least for practising, though probably not actually
competing etc. For example, when I wear a swimming costume I can just tuck
the pump into the costume (on the hip) and it stays put even if I run around.
there are numerous belts and things also that she could try attaching it to -
it wouldn't be easy, and she might have to move the pump around depending on
what particular activity she was doing, but  it could be possible. For
example, round her waist at the front or back might be possible for a lot of
the time. And maybe for some particular activities she would have to take it
off. But taking it off for several hours at a time is more tricky. You can do
that and reconnect e.g. every hour to bolus a little, but I never find that
works very well for me (I always end up high). Though for some people it
works fine. The site would not be affected by swinging around etc - it is
really very robust and can take a lot of impact. When I played goalball the
site would be on my stomach or hip and I would frequently get hit by the ball
right on the site (you're supposed to stop the ball with your body) and it
would be fine.

So i think your only real problem would be where to put the pump, or how to
deal with disconnecting for several hours. But it should be perfectly
possible. And I am sure that it would help with her BGs especially