[IPk] Competitive Gymnastics

 Does anyone on this list take part in competitive gymnastics or have a child
that does. Sasha does
 training for competitive gymnastics and is now doing 3 hour stretches training.
Yesterday she did her
 usual training and another 2.5 hours afterwards preparing, with the others, for
a display at the
 re-opening of a revamped local leisure centre. We find it very hard to control
her blood sugar levels
 during this time. Either Terry or myself have to stay really to do regular
checks and make adjustments
 or suggestions about what to do if she is low or high. We cut the total insulin
by quite a lot but still
 got problems with several bad hypos later on. Yesterday was a particularly bad

 I am still nagging Sasha's consultant about a pump and as you may remember he
thinks that pumps are
 dangerous and experimental and other things. He has no experience of pumps at
all. He also said last
 week that he would NOT support us for funding anyway as he considers Sasha
HbA1c to be very good. 6.9.
 Its usually around 6.3. I am wondering about several things. Would it be easier
to control Sasha's BG
 for sports if she were using a pump? We have had one severe hypo after gym once
where even after giving
 glucogon I had to call an ambulance. We still have a great deal of trouble with
hypos during and after
 gym despite decreasing the insulin doses and Sasha drinking regular coke during
the lessons. We now have
 to stay the whole of the lessons, sitting in a cold changing room, we are not
really suppose to watch all
 the time as it distracts the twins. So it is all very disruptive and time
consuming. The other thing I
 am wondering about is how we would manage an insulin pump if she had one. She
would probably need to
 disconnect from a pump during training and this would be for a long time. How
would you manage this?
 Also would the site be effect by all the swinging round the bars and the
exercises on the beam? Sasha
really loves gym and would not be prepared to give it up for anything.

Jackie Jacombs