Re: [IPk] Sets and splitting doses

Hi Jos,

Someone (Babara?) suggested recently that when manually inserting sets,
if you can't just slide in the needle (I.e the flesh is just pushed away
from the needle, rather than the needle sliding in), then she suggested
doing it as a two-part manoeuvre:
First puncture the skin by twisting the needle around a little bit on
the surface, then
Push the needle slowly in.
I've not had an opportunity to try this yet.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+, softset with a whanger)

In message <email @ redacted>, J
<email @ redacted> writes
>Emily started on her pump on the 27th as planned and it's
>going well so far with much better BG's already. 74% have
>been within Emily's target range this week compared to 39%
>the week before the pump!
>We have had a couple of problems with sets not lasting as
>long as they should (tenders) but think now that this may
>have been caused by the time it took to get the set in.
>Emily was having to press for ages before it would go in,
>it just seemed to dent the skin and not want to go in. The
>last one went in much more easily (not sure why) and the
>set lasted 3 days instead of becoming a little red after 2
>days. She is trying a 6mm rapid ATM. We couldn't believe
>how small the needle looked after the tenders!
>We may ask about trying the Minimed Quickset because Emily
>prefers the idea of a teflon set, they have one that is 6mm
>long and it can be inserted using a Quick-serter. Are there
>any problems with using this set with a D-Tron Plus?
>Another patient at our clinic uses a Minimed pump so I
>don't think there will be a problem with funding if we
>Also, how important is it to split larger insulin doses and
>how long should we leave between each dose?  The pump nurse
>said that we should split any doses larger than 5 units and
>give the second part half to three quarters of an hour
>later but we are tending to forget the second part and give
>it late. If we could get into the habit of giving it at the
>end of the meal (about 10 minutes after the first) would
>this be long enough to be useful? I think we may remember
>better if we can associate it with the end of the meal.

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)