Re: [IPk] Argh! Blocked tube?

Hi Helen,

I wouldn't think about looking at different sets or length of needle
unless you get occlusions fairly often.  Kinking happens from poor
manufacture (I've had a whole box of sets which kinked) or poor
insertion (virtually every quickset I've ever put in).

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+)

>Had a really scary few hours there earlier. BG rose to 16 before lunch...I
>thought it was due to incorrect bolus for food earlier. But after lunch and
>after correction bolus then bolus for lunch, rose to 28! Bolused again, then
 > checked 15 mins later...32! Then went off scale within 5 minutes. I gave a
 >with the pen then changed the infusion site, etc. Had to give another shot via
>pen before I got set back in and it's started to drop down now. It was 13.1 5
>minutes ago. Phoned the Medtronic nurse who said I'd done the right thing and
>the set must have somehow become kinked or blocked. Thing is, how does this
> happen? I looked at the set I took out...it had worked fine yesterday and the
 >before...but the insulin went through OK when I pressed the reservoir. The end
>of the tube looked slightly 'flat' or possibly had a whitish bit in it. Could
>this be it? Is this a problem with Quicksets? Or would a longer needle help?
>(I'm using the 6mm). I assumed that if the set worked OK for a couple of days
>then it wouldn't go wrong.
>It really made me panic. I've never been this high before and it was scary.
>Any advice/experiences like this would be helpful.
>Pump 5 days...
>contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)