Re: [IPk] Insulin for Pasta

>I have not been able to get her below the 18 mmols tonight but I know she
>will be ok in the morning when the pizza has done its job and gone!  It's a
> shame, but maybe someone is trying to tell us that this food is no good for
>kids (McDonalds do the same for us but not quite as bad).  However, pasta is
>supposed to be really good for you isn't it?  We live and learn.

The 'Italian diet' or Mediterranean diet is, indeed, a healthier diet
than the UK diet, because it contains more oily fish, more vegetables,
less saturated fats and less added sugar than ours.  The trouble is,
what we eat here as 'Italian' food is often American-Italian, or UK-
Italian, and not as good as the true Italian diet.

For example we would eat a garlic bread with a load of butter on it,
where the Italians would eat bruchetta, a lightly toasted bread, rubbed
with garlic, a little olive oil on it, lots of chopped tomatoes and a
sprinkling of fresh basil.  Both dishes contain bread and garlic, but
the oil/tomatoes/herbs route is much better than butter.

Similarly with pasta, Italians are horrified by the way we eat it.
First, we over cook it.  Then we drown it in sauce!  If you put on about
1/4 of the sauce we think is the 'right' amount, you have the 'right'
Italian amount.  The relationship of pasta to sauce should be more like
the relationship of chips to mayonnaise or tomato sauce than the
relation of stew potatoes or dumplings.  We have so much sauce because
we eat only the pasta dish (which, indeed, Italians may do at lunch
time, or if having a light meal in the evening), but Italians usually go
on to eat  fish, meat, vegetables, salad and cheese (not all of them at
every meal, of course - and the vegetable can be potatoes).

The problem with the so-called Italian food we eat is, I believe, not
the pasta content, but the great deal of saturated fats we eat with it.
I saw a tip that one should lay a tea-towel (clean!) across the top of a
pizza and lightly press it in to take off the excess fat before serving

Making food at home is another good way of keeping excess fat out.
I tend to buy the very cheap pizzas which have some tomato sauce and a
meagre bit of cheese on, and then I make a mountain of onions,
mushrooms, tomatoes and a little strong cheese to top it with. The
result is as succulent as an American pizza, with a good cheese taste.

Mind you, I have never been able to express clearly in Italian that I
just want a very little piece of a pudding.  The more superlatives I add
in expressing just how minuscule a little slicette I want, the larger my
portion is compared to everyone else's'. There's no way that pine-nut
tart can be considered healthy eating!  And my favourite dessert of all
time, panna cotta has no redeeming virtues that I can see.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)