From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On
Behalf Of J
Sent: 08 November 2003 04:19
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Sets and splitting doses

Emily started on her pump on the 27th as planned and it's
going well so far with much better BG's already. 74% have
been within Emily's target range this week compared to 39%
the week before the pump!

We have had a couple of problems with sets not lasting as
long as they should (tenders) but think now that this may
have been caused by the time it took to get the set in.
Emily was having to press for ages before it would go in,
it just seemed to dent the skin and not want to go in. The
last one went in much more easily (not sure why) and the
set lasted 3 days instead of becoming a little red after 2
days. She is trying a 6mm rapid ATM. We couldn't believe
how small the needle looked after the tenders!

We may ask about trying the Minimed Quickset because Emily
prefers the idea of a teflon set, they have one that is 6mm
long and it can be inserted using a Quick-serter. Are there
any problems with using this set with a D-Tron Plus?
Another patient at our clinic uses a Minimed pump so I
don't think there will be a problem with funding if we
switch.

Also, how important is it to split larger insulin doses and
how long should we leave between each dose?  The pump nurse
said that we should split any doses larger than 5 units and
give the second part half to three quarters of an hour
later but we are tending to forget the second part and give
it late. If we could get into the habit of giving it at the
end of the meal (about 10 minutes after the first) would
this be long enough to be useful? I think we may remember
better if we can associate it with the end of the meal.

Jos
--
Mum to Emily aged 11, dx Oct '99
Novorapid x 4, Glargine x 1, D-Tron Plus pump from the 27th

---