Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #547

Hi Rachel,

It is 'well known' - but they forget to tell you - that insulin
sensitivity varies according to blood glucose level.  So if you are, say
3, and eat 10g CHO, it may take you to 4.1.  When you are 6 and eat 10g
CHO, it may take you to 9.  Conversely, when you are 1, 1 unit of
insulin may take you to 6.  But when you are 12, 1 unit may only take
you to 10, and when you are 18, a unit may only take you to 17.

If it takes 4 units over 12 hours to get you from 15 to 5, (and you
think 1 unit should get you there in 4 hours) you could try gradually
increasing the correction bolus, until you get a good idea of how much
will get you to say, 8, in 4 hours, fairly predictably. You can always
correct again after 2 or 3 hours if you have it widely wrong.

Best wishes,

>Can anyone help me, when I am high BG over 15, I seem to need one hell of a
 > lot more insuling than what I should give myself, before it even attempts to
>lower.  I am on humalog, and since being on the pump, it appears to take ages
>to get into my system when I do a correction dosage. Does anyone out there
 > have any ideas why or what I can do, only 4.0 units is a lot to correct, when
>should only need 1.0 unit of humulog.  I shall look forward to hearing from
>anyone, concerning this Many Thanks to all that answer.  Any yes I do worry
 > occaisionally about my children get IDD but at the end of the day if it's
>happen it will happen and if it doesn't it doesn't there is no point
> worrying, as the treatment is one hell of a lot better than when I was
 > After pumping for a month, I would personally put them on a pump privately if
>had to.  So my motto is don't worry about it be happy loads of love Rach xx
>contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)