[IPk] Dropping a high BG

Hi Rach

As Di mentioned, high BG does indeed increase insulin resistance.

One thing I have always found useful, as "wrong" as it sounds, is to eat
something low or no-carb when I inject or bolus to correct a high BG. This
appears to give the insulin something to work on immediately which kicks it
into action a bit faster than just waiting, and I tend to find I need less
of a monster dose to correct (and a shorter time frame) when I do it. I
also know (sadly, from personal experience) that when you are in very
severe DKA (ie. unconscious or very close to it) the first thing the
doctors generally do is pump you full of more glucose before or
simultaenously with setting up an insulin IV - and I suspect it is for the
same reason I gave above, and also to control the rate of decrease, as a
very fast drop can cause brain problems (I can dig out the references on
that if you wish).

Best of luck,

Tori (dx 1969, pumping 1978)