Re: [IPk] Thanks and lots more questions from a Newbie!

Hi Louise

I was dxed at age 4 and have just turned 39. I have two daughters aged 15
and 17, and I've been pumping since 1978 - including during both pregnancies.

I believe the stats for genetic development of type 1 are ... Children with
a diabetic mother have about a 2% risk of developing diabetes. It is 5% for
a sibling, and if the father has type 1, the risk increases to 6%. Just for
completion, risk for the child of two non-diabetic parents is about 0.5%.

I had my girls tested for genetic predisposition a few years ago, and
although it wasn't at all traumatic for them (just a small quick blood
test), and they came back negative, i don't know really if it was worth it.
I actually had the test done by request from a doctor who wanted to do
research with children of diabetic parents, who were genetically
predisposed to development, and obviously this didn't apply to my girls.

The reason I question its worth is that *at least* three separate genes
(and others "parts of genes") have been identified as contributing to or
being present in *most* type 1 diabetics - but not all ... and not all of
those genes are checked in the predisposition test. So while the test for
us negated one potential  contributory factor, it didn't exclude the others.

Whether or not you have your kids tested obviously has to be a personal
choice.... but I think it's very important to realise that a negative test
does not necessarily mean your kids won't develop type 1, and if you were
to get a positive test result, would it change your or your child's
behaviours? And how would it affect everyone emotionally. I have no
answers, just thought I'd throw it all in for consideration.