Re: [IPk] NovoRapid/Detimir

On Sunday, November 2, 2003, at 09:53  am, Melissa Ford wrote:

> After a few years(!) of using Humalog in my pump, I tried NovoRapid
> for a month and found that my 1.5-hour post-meal blood sugars were
> fantastic, but sometimes too low, even when I reduced the number of
> units (or tenths thereof) of insulin compared with how much Humalog I
> would have budgeted for the same meal. Then, about 2.5 to 3 hours
> after a NovoRapid bolus, I'd get a mild hypo.

This is interesting.  I've been using Lantus and Novorapid for about 6
weeks now and have been getting a lot of hypos 3 to 4 hours after
breakfast.  I have now put my morning Novorapid down to 4 units - I
used to take 8 or 9 of Actrapid for the same food, although I had a
snack as well!  I am still getting low levels (4 to 5) when I test
around 3 hours later, but no hypos yet  - at least, I don't think so.

I think it's got something to do with the exercise I get in the
mornings as I walk to work - I put my Lantus into my thigh so
exercising the muscle probably makes it peak at that time.  Or maybe it
peaks anyway, since it doesn't seem to be much different at weekends.
Even on Actrapid and Insulatard I always did seem to get sharp drops in
bg around noon.  I still get peaks after lunch and am actually taking
slightly more Novorapid then than the Actrapid I used to take.  But it
sorts itself out by evening.

I am still eating bedtime snacks of 10 to 20g carb, around 4 hours
after dinner.  I don't know what this has been doing to my bg during
the night - have been too lazy to check! - but it's usually low (like 5
- perfect) when I wake up in the morning.  Whereas it used to often be
in double figures.