Re: [IPk] bad paeds care

> If my understanding is correct I will need to be particularly
> vigilant with carb counting, basal and bolus administration and
> check Blood sugars every hour.

Every hour is overkill, even when doing a basal profile and then only
every 2 hours or so. Get yourself a copy of Pumping Insulin .... see:

The information it contains on carb counting is applicable to both
pump therapy and MDI. I would expect you will find it very helpful.

> My wife is the breadwinner in the
> family so I am able to go to the school and check. Yasmeen has a
> packed lunch ( always advisable with a diabetic child ) so I am
> therefore able to count the lunchtime carbs before she eats. Out of
> my four children she is by far the most sensible and intelligent and
> indeed has been doing all her own blood and insulin injections since
> she was diagnosed.

Then she should be able to continue to do so. My daughter was 11 when
she began pump therapy and my now 13 yo twin boys have a girl friend
in their class that has been on pump therapy since she was 9. It is
my observation that these kids can do much of the carb counting and
dosing on their own at that age with minimal help from parents and
caretakers. It is far easier for them using a pump than on MDI.

> I am assuming that I will have to pay so I will not be persevering
> with funding. I am also contemplating the expense of a continuous
> glucose monitoring device but as yet have not found one which will
> display continuous readings

Don't waste your time on the continuous monitor. The ones on the
market now are pretty primitive and require considerable cross
checking with a regular meter. Stick with the regular meter for
another year or two until the second generations devices become
available. These devices are useful for a once in a while check, but
not very useful for home use.

> I would however like to ask a couple of questions.
> Having received and read a number of brochures on various pumps -
> which one would anyone here recommend and why.

This is like picking a car -- Mercedes or BMW??  :-)
All pumps do fundamentally the same thing with different bells and
whistles. Pick the one you like for its feature. Basically you can't
go wrong. Any of them are better than shots.

> Which makes of insulin prove to be more stable/reliable than others.

There are two fast acting insulin analogs Humalog made by Eli Lilly
Co. and Novorapid made by Novo Nordisk. A small percentage of people
have shown a sensitivity to one or the other but not both. The
differ chemically in that they are both alterations of the
natural insulin hormone, having alterations in the molecular
B-chain. In Humalog the amino acids at positions 28(lys) and 29(pro)
on the insulin B chain are reversed. In Novolog/NovoRapid, the amino
acid proline in position 28 of the insulin B chain is replace with a
molecule of aspartic. They both have fundamentally the same action
once injected or infused via pump.