Re: [IPk] Dissapointing meeting with Sasha,s consultant

In message <email @ redacted>,
Jackie Jacombs <email @ redacted> writes
>Pat it wasn't me that wanted to go to a centre with lots of children
>pumping.  It was my consultant who said that he wouldn't consider a hospital
>that only had one or two children on pumps.  He seemed to be saying that if
>I went to somewhere where they haven't got lots of children on pumps that
>they would be experimenting on my child and it wouldn't be safe!!

Of course they would be experimenting on your child - but in a safe way!
The pump company would be hand-holding them the entire time.

Your doctor has said he won't touch Sacha once she's on a pump, anyway,
so why are you listening to him when he says she has to go somewhere
experienced with children on pumps?

>Then in the next breath he seemed to be saying that pump therapy was still
>experimental and how  a few  people had  died from being given overdoses
>through pump malfunctions in the US and how he would live withhimself if
>something went wrong for Sasha.  He said he would refer us to a
>diabetologist but our D nurse didn't know any of the people that he
>mentioned and I don't know if the hospitals that these people are at would
>support children on pumps. He said to go away and think about it!  and let
>him know if we want him to refer us to a diabetologist.

I'd say 'no thank you, I'm going to ask my GP to refer', do my research,
and go to my GP.
>I explained how the pump nurses do the training and he didn't think that was
>right, he expects the hospital staff to know what they're doing.

Sometimes the pump nurse is employed by the pump company, and large
centres have their own, company-trained nurses.  Putting people on pumps
is so easy that it's a nurse's job, not a doctors.  Back to my car
analogy: learning to use a pump is no more difficult (and I'd say less
life-threatening) than learning to drive a car - and driving instructors
get lots less training than doctors.
>Our consultant wants us to wait a few year until pumps are more common.
They've been around 20+ years.  So he can't live with himself if Sacha
goes on a pump and she dies.  So what?  That's the call that _you_ have
to make.  Ask him what the risks really are.  1 in a 1000 use-years?
One in 100,000?  How does that compare to allowing a child to cycle on
the road? Or go swimming in a supervised swimming pool?

Yes, the chances of Sacha dying from pump failure _are_ going to be
higher now than in five or ten years time.  But are the chances of her
dying from diabetic complications going to be the same, whether she goes
on the pump now, or in five or ten years?

And if the chances of death are minuscule (as I believe they are), then
look at the quality of life.

Gods! I wish someone would teach doctors basic ethics and statistics,
instead of letting them muddle on with ill-placed good intentions.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30 +, 508 1+)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)