[IPk] Dissapointing meeting with Sasha,s consultant

Hi All

We had an appointment today with Sasha's diabetes consultant.  The meeting
didn't go well at all.  He is very wary of pumps and kept bringing up the
old histories about their early use and problems in the UK.  He doesn't want
to refer us to anyone else as he thinks that we have been brain washed into
wanting a pump by adverts!!!  He doesn't want to refer us to B' ham hospital
because they only have experience of one child on a pump .  There is nowhere
near us that has any children on pumps.  He also thinks that it's not right
because there is no medical need!!!  because her HbA1c is good, the last one
was 6.2   The only thing he will agree to is to refer us to someone else for
a second opinion.  The person he suggests that  we might talk to is a
dialectologist, but he says that she doesn't have anyone on pumps either and
that she is a renowned expert so that she should know what she is talking
about and if pumps were that good she would have patients on them.  He
seemed to think that we would be putting Sasha's life at risk because people
do not have the experience of  managing pumps.  As the conversation when on
he seemed to become more against Sasha pumping than ever.  Saying that in a
few years time things might be better when there were more centres with
children pumping.  He said if she had a really high HbA1c that might be
worth the risk!!!!!

When I pointed out that Sasha's HbA1c was reflecting the peaks and troughs
not a steady level but he said a pump could possibly make  things worse!

I just don't know where to go from here.  He went on to say several times
that if we went to people for medical advice (meaning him) then we should
listen to them.  That if he didn't know about something that he would talk
to experts and take their opinion.  In other words he says no, so we should
accept his opinion.   I need to find a centre where they have a few children
on pumps to stand any chance.  But we cant really go to one that is too far

I feel gutted as our D nurse had seemed so positive before and had seemed to
think that he would refer us anyway.  I had no idea that he was going to be
so against Sasha pumping.

If anyone know of any centres that have a few children pumping will they let
me know.  I has to be children and not adults.

Jackie Jacombs