Re: [IPk] Having a bad day or two

>Although I would never dream of giving up the pump, Danielle's blood sugars
>have been too high today (and a few highs dotted about over the last few days
>as well).  She was 3.8 when she got up this morning,

Ignore all readings (other than to correct them, replacing sets when
highs are not corrected) for 24 hrs after a low.  What happened today
should be blamed on that 3.8.

You could try treating a much higher level as 'the floor' until you have
a nice flat line.  Try aiming, for example, for readings between 8 and
14: giving correction boluses only at over 12, and glucose tabs at all
readings below 8.

>  Does anyone know of a chart or the studies to show how long this
>insulin hangs around and when it peaks and is it different on the pump when
>you are not using any other insulins that might get in the way and slow it
>down?  I mean, if you are on just a quick-acting insulin, does it act faster
>than if you mix a quick-acting with a slow-acting?

Try the Lilly (Lilley?) website for the graphs.

Insulin seems to be a bit quicker in the pump than through injections,
but better still, because you've done a bolus or two through the pump,
you can tell whether it's in a 'slow' or 'fast' site, and therefore how
the next bolus is likely to play (don't worry about this for the moment,
it's something that comes after months of experience).

You can see for yourself what the activity curve is (and it varies from
person to person, site to site, by the next time you've got an
explainable high (not site failure, not infection, but simply more CHO
in a meal than you bolused for), by taking the correction bolus and then
measuring bgs for the next five or six hours, on the half hour.  You
will probably see something like this:

(That's with a correction bolus aimed to reduce down to a 'normal' of

I should be very surprised if you saw:

Which is what you would expect with a three-quarter hour activity life
of a short acting insulin!

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)
Pat Reynolds