[IPk] Help from Social Services

Hello everyone

I just wondered how many of you with children who have diabetes actually
manage to get out as a couple for a drink or meal and be able to get a
babysitter?  Some of you will have family who have 'lived' your child's
diabetes and learnt with you and some of you will have friends who have done
the same.  In some cases (as is mine), I have not been out with my husband
for a long time and we don't feel we can ask for a babysitter and then say
"Oh, and my child has diabetes and do you mind if I go through a few things
with you?".  A lot of people wouldn't mind but some people might just be
scared off a bit.

After evaluating the situation and deciding that my husband and I only ever
communicated about diabetes, it was time to do something about it.  I have an
auntie in Scotland who works for Social Services and she came to stay with me
a month ago and told me that, in Scotland I would be entitled to some respite
care.  I couldn't accept it at first, but it turns out I can have it free of
charge for so many hours per week and it is funded by Social Services but you
can also add extra hours to it and pay privately.

If you have a child with diabetes and want me to give you the details, please
let me know and I will give you the information off list.

Mum to Danielle, dx Aug 2001, pumping at the moment