Re: [IPk] Having a bad day or two

In a message dated 11/28/2002 12:41:47 AM GMT Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> The rule of thumb I learned is that
> if bg remains high for 6-8 hours, even if it goes down a little (but not as
> much as you would expect for the amount of insulin bolused), change the set
> and make sure to bolus 1.5 just after insertion

Hi Melissa, and Barbara whose query it was,

While I think Melissa's other advice is great, bolusing 1.5 units is an
individual amount which needs to be established by trial and error. (I would
have a major hypo!)  A bit like the advice to start off on a 15:1
carb:insulin ratio. You could estimate it for Danielle from her usual carb to
insulin ratio and basal rate at the  time of change if you also knew
Melissa's figures.  Can you help, Melissa?

The time for insulin peak and general action profile varies amongst
individuals.  Many factors come into play such as absorption, the insulin
itself and its storage, etc, time of day, individual metabolism and hormonal
factors...It is crucial that the possibility of a problem with the site (or
other part of the pump system) is recognised, but the fact that you have a
different profile from others doesn't necessarily mean that there's a
problem.  I'll misquote a friend who once said to me, "Your body's just
asserting its individuality" :-)

IDDM 30+ yrs, pumper 2yrs and loving it despite occasional hiccups