From: email @ redacted
Sent: 27 November 2002 23:02
To: email @ redacted
Cc: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Having a bad day or two

Show your support for Insulin Pumpers.
Make a tax deductible donation now during our FALL Pledge Drive.

Although I would never dream of giving up the pump, Danielle's blood sugars
have been too high today (and a few highs dotted about over the last few days
as well).  She was 3.8 when she got up this morning, had 2 slices of toast
and marmite, bolused 2.5 units after the first slice and was 17 mmols an hour
later.  She was 12.8 before her lunch and she ate a penguin before games
lesson at 3 pm.  Games is vigorous and it makes her go as low as 1.9 so we
are trying the snack without a bolus to see if it helps.  Guess what?  Games
was cancelled so she came home with a blood sugar of 16.  A correction was
done and then she had her meal and bolus.  She remained at 16, so another
correction was done.  I have just tested her blood (10.45 pm) and she is
14.8.  I have corrected with a bolus of 0.5 units because I fear doing more
than that because of the insulin that might still be working.  I was led to
believe that the insulin that she is on has done its job by 3/4 hour but have
been told by other people that it can last up to 4 hours. (she is on
Novorapid).  Does anyone know of a chart or the studies to show how long this
insulin hangs around and when it peaks and is it different on the pump when
you are not using any other insulins that might get in the way and slow it
down?  I mean, if you are on just a quick-acting insulin, does it act faster
than if you mix a quick-acting with a slow-acting?

The school gave me a day off today and said that they would test her blood at
lunch time and ring me if she was over 10.  I went shopping for xmas crackers
and wrapping paper and a few bits of groceries that I had run out of.  I
can't do this normally because I have to go to school each lunch time and it
doesn't give me the time in between to go shopping.  I am thankful for them
giving me today off, but they also need to let me know when games or PE is
cancelled so that I can tell them not to let Danielle eat the snack!

I am frustrated tonight because we see the consultant on Weds next week and I
was hoping for good results.  I suppose it is expected to get ups and downs
in the first weeks, but our first week was the best week ever and the
consultant is going to be looking at the most recent.

Mum to Danielle, dx Aug 2001, now 8 and on pump trial but loving it
help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtmlGet