Re: [IPk] UK doctores/ pump vs MDI

In message <001001c295a8$f1bf84e0$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>later when asked about this again he backed down and  mentioned that 3 of his
>patients had tried CSII but the pump had " broken down" on all 3 and only one
>patient was a " success"

Well, of course they are going to break down!  Dangerous pump failure is
going to be rare, but so are tyre blow-outs at 80mph.  Small niggling
failures (the car equivalent of a key breaking in the lock, a door seal
perishing, or a headlight being smashed by a stone chipping) are to be

It _is_ a cultural thing.  We are encultured into wanting to drive cars.
We invest, as a result, an awful lot of money and angst into getting
past the driving test.

Look at what diabetics are told - that cars are kill people.  They are
only for people who have failed to get where they want to go on a bus.
They are unsexy.  You have to have somewhere to park it all the time
outside your house.  They don't go anywhere that the (properly
optimised) public transport network doesn't go.  They cost more than
public transport. There is no difference between riding on the top deck
of a bus and in Ferrari (they are both red).

Now, would you rather have a bus pass, or be humiliated because you
never will (you think) be able to get the car to move forwards without
it jumping and lurching?

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, driving licence 9+)
Pat Reynolds