[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #268

Barbara,
Yes I was quite suprised when I learnt from this list how reluctant the
British medical profession is to admit what benefits the pump can
bring. Physicians here seem to be quite positive about the pump -
sometimes almost too positive, in that they think that with all the
advantages of the pump, I should be able to have perfect blood glucose
all the time - I wish. As far as I understand, amazingly enough there
are many more pumps per diabetic here than in the UK. I had no problems
getting funding for all the pump consumables - I land up paying 10% of
the cost - but did have to fight to get the local equivalent of the NHS
to contribute to the cost of the pump itself (that was when I
encountered the dr who wondered if I was worthy of them paying for the
pump, since even with the pump I did not have normal HbA1c), but they
did in the end.
I was only on injections for 10 months before starting the pump, so
cannot comment on the problem of finding good pump sites after years of
injections. I did feel terribly preoccupied with the pump for the first
weeks after starting, so can understand your reluctance to start
yourself while your daughter is still in the trial stage. I must say
that after 5 years, I still do not enjoy changing sets, still have some
residual nervousness every time I have to stick that needle in, but
often it goes in so easily.
Good luck wuth your decisions
Nanette