I too weigh my food, though only if I am unsure of estimating the
carbohydrate size or rarely eat that food, particularly sweet foods that
require large doses of insulin, or pasta/rice portions.

My carbohydrate ratio is around 1u/1og CHO.  I was advised to slightly
under-bolus (I use Humalog) for larger quantities of insulin (eg. 12 units
for a large pasta meal might be decreases to 11 units). HOWEVER, I find that
it it is best to use the exact ratio of insulin/carbohydrates, especially
for larger meals, bearing in mind the following:

- fat tends to prolong absoption for me - to the extent that my BG drops
quite low a couple of hours after a fatty meal (eg. Lasagne) though rises
again after about 4 hours, as more of the carbohydrate is absorped later on.

- I do not use the quare wave option any longer on my Disetronic D-Tron.
The dose seems to have less of an effect given as a square wave, and my
sugars remain higher.  Square wave bolus also prevent me from giving
mini-boluses as I eat a meal (Pay-as-I-go) or removing the pump.

- burgers and chips can be difficult.  They are carbohydrate heavy, and the
fat means slow absorption, and could explain a higher BG later on
(particularly using Humalog, does she use this?).  I find that chips require
a disproportionately large bolus.

- it is important to factor in any exercise, even a brisk walk, that could
act to lower the BG.

Fruit is also important to weigh, as size and sweetness can differ greatly.

Hope this helps.

IDDM 10 yrs, D-Tron 9 months

  Hello everyone

  I have found that I only need to give 1.0 unit through the pump per
CHO eaten.  For an apple, Danielle only needs 0.5 units.  I count the
in her meals and if I get to, say 60g, you would probably work out that
need to bolus 4 units for her, but I tried that and she went hypo, so I
tried 3.5 and that was still too much, so I tried 3.0 and she was coming
home from school around 2.5 mmols.  I now never do more than 3.0 for her
meals but for sandwiches, yoghurt and biscuit, I just give 2.5.

  Does everybody on this list weigh their food and count every single
of CHO?  I don't weigh the food unless I am unsure about the type of
(ie, she had grape nuts the other morning and I had to weigh them to see
much to give her).  The grape nuts actually kept her quite high all

  Does anybody else find that they stick to a certain number of units
each meal?  I do an extra bolus for Danielle if she has something out of
ordinary.  She stayed at her friend's house for tea last night and they
chips and burger.  This sent her sugars all over the place by midnight
and I
couldn't control them.  She never has chips or burgers normally.

  Although I use a lot of guess work for CHO, Danielle's sugars have
really good and I give myself a pat on the back for estimating
Does everyone else weigh the food and get it precise?

  Mum to Danielle aged 8 on pump trial and loving it