Hi Barbara,

We weighed a lot to start off with when Sam got his pump and started to
make up a chart of the most common things he ate.  His favourite (and
biggest!) meal of the day is breakfast, which consists of a cocktail of
at least 4 different ones at a time.  The easiest approach was to spend
some time weighing out every one and putting together a chart based on
serving size.  We gave him a standard kitchen measure (actually a 1/3
cup measuring spoon) and it's now very straightforward, and usually
pretty accurate.

It's obviously impossible to measure everything throughout the day and
there are times when we have to estimate.  Some times we get it right -
other times we learn from our mistakes.  On balance, I think we're doing
quite well.  For example, on Saturday we went out for lunch to a
Harvester restaurant.  Sam had 2 bread rolls, a huge bowl of salad that
mainly consisted of raisins and sweetcorn, a helping a pasta in tomato
sauce, finishing off with ice cream.  This meant that we had to guess
for just about everything.  Somehow, his BGs stayed between 5 and 7
until late in the evening - so this was one occasion when we got it

Father of Sam, aged 8, dx Aug 1996

Pumping since Aug 2001