Re: [IPk] Revelation by the biscuit cupboard

In a message dated 11/25/2002 7:03:25 AM GMT Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> How diabetes
> impacts (blah, hate that verb, and am too lazy to re-write) on the lives
> of others is something which we don't think about nearly enough.  Partly
> because it's enough of a terror to think about how it impacts on us.
> It's something which isn't seen by the medical side, I'm doubly sure.

I couldn't agree more, Pat.

My own parents are still terrified by diabetes (and wary of my pump! - still
"but you can't have any sugar, can you?").  Although a diabetic teenager is
not a pleasant person to live with, I think it's more because mum's dad
developed diabetes during WW2 when he was shot in the pancreas - and sadly,
was not much more than an invalid for the rest of his life.  This had major
effects on the family.  Then I went and got the dreaded condition...

And many, many times in hospital practice, I would see distressed
spouses/relatives, concerned that their loved one would get their meal on
time - in many cases, their whole lives revolved around the diabetic
lifestyle of the other.  I was a diabetic myself so "in the know", but I'm
sure you're right.

IDDM 30+ yrs, 508 2 yrs