Re: [IPk] off-topic: An academic question

email @ redacted writes:

> First: do people hang onto old equipment after they've stopped using it
> regularly?  Why?  Do you hang on to old diabetes stuff in a different
> way to other stuff (such as old kitchen equipment, or old clothes).
> My personal answer to this is: yes, I do hang on to stuff (kitchen
> stuff, clothes, diabetic stuff).  I do, very occasionally, find a use
> for old kitchen stuff (the nutmeg grater is very rusty!).  I keep
> clothes that I liked a lot, even though I no longer fit them.  The
> diabetic stuff I start to keep through inertia.  Then it's 'a back-up'.
> It's stuff that wasn't good to use at the time, and much worse than the
> stuff I use now.
> (If anyone is provoked by this into an act of spring cleaning, please
> take a photo first, for my website, and offer it to your local museum,
> or one of the medical history museums!)
> Second question: do we just take what we're given?  When I was getting
> close to going on a pump, I decided that I'd like the blue one.  I got
> given a charcoal one.  Definitely _not_ me (I go to meetings where women
> wear charcoal suits.  The nearest I've got is a green one - more usually
> I wear a denim suit, or lilac jacket ....).
> I have just bought my first non-standard issue pump holder.  I
> commissioned it from a leather worker whose work I admired - he says
> they do a line in asthma inhaler holders for reenactors.  It's tan
> leather with a Yorkshire 'gripping beast' design (very degenerate - it's
> got a foot, but no head).
> Have other people stuck with what the company supplies, or do you use
> other things?  How do those other things relate to what you use or wear
> which are not associated with your diabetes?
> With best wishes,
> Pat
> (dm 30+, 508 1+, research student in archaeology, University of York.
> Yes, what diabetics do with their old equipment, and what they choose to
> use is archaeology)
Hi Pat,

(Agree - anything that's older than the present is archeological! So I guess
my response, which somehow didn't get e-mailed when it was supposed to -
yesterday! - could be considered such :-))

In answer to your queries:

I do keep some old diabetic stuff, but mainly as "backup" (e.g. the bg meter
I replaced a couple of years ago. Hmm. Its strips are probably now out of
date...).  And I've kept the old pen needles (more of those later). Oh, how I
wish I'd kept (to photograph for you) the old stuff my poor mum used to
sterilize my archaic equipment - she thought I was too young to do it safely
myself, although I was perfectly capable of cooking Sunday lunch... - as well
as the archaic equipment itself (I will never forget the horror of the huge,
blunt needles).  And then there was the equipment used to test urine
samples...I think that's what got me interested in chemistry as a subject...

I happen to be a "charcoal suit" and the initial loaned pump matched
perfectly. So yes, I actually chose a charcoal pump. That doesn't mean I lack
a bizarre sense of humour - having a wardrobe in the same colour is sooo time
saving, and I love the eccentricity of it all. (:-))  Seriously, in my
particular job where looking almost "black tie" formal is important much of
the time, a highly coloured pump, unless out of sight, would look very odd
and probably attract unwanted attention.

I have never liked the equipment commercially available for pricking fingers
for bg blood samples, and have always preferred to use a fine needle (used to
be the "orange" one on the end of the old insulin syringe, nowadays I'm going
through my large, and I hope otherwise redundant, supply of pen needles).  I
also use a sterile "blue needle" (I can get them from work - heck, there
aren't many perks in the NHS!) to refill my reservoir so that I can reuse it

I did buy some of the pump manufacturer's items, but haven't really used
them, mainly because I haven't needed them.  I seldom wear a dress, so the
pump can clip over a skirt or trouser waist or sit in a pocket if there is
one. Despite reassurances about wearing the pump without anything to hold it
at night, this didn't work out, so I made a simple cotton thingy with a
velcro fastening which I wear round my waist with pump clipped on (I found
other options too uncomfortable).