Re: [IPk] Re: Being attached to a pump

Two responses from me on this thread:

1) Di, great post! I usually say, 'It's an insulin pump. It means I don't
have to take injections', but I like 'it keeps me alive'. When I was
younger, sometimes people asked me if I dealt drugs because they thought the
pump was a pager (fair enough, really!). Occasionally I was tempted to say,
'Only growth hormones', but figured that might get me into trouble ;) .

2) This is high on the self-disclosure scale, but it might be worth
mentioning. As we're on the topic of reactions to 'having something
attached', I had expected that the pump would be more an obstacle than an
accessory to pulling. I've found otherwise. In one case, a male friend of a
couple of years and I were hanging out in my room. He asked me where the
pump connected. Having had to show my tummy to half the Heathrow security
guards previously, I was not shy. 'Remind me, where does your pump connect?'
led to  um, 'stuff' a few months later. More recently (last week) a guy I've
known casually for about a year and I were chatting in my room pretty late
at night. When I tested my bg, he mentioned that he has type 2. He's rather
young to have it and not really an obvious candidate risk-factor wise, so I
was willing to talk about diabetes with him in a way that I normally avoid
with type 2s (i.e., honestly). It wasn't too long before it was clear that
he was interested in more than what I know about diabetes management. (Now
to get him to test his bg more often!)

To women considering a pump but hesitating because it might be a 'turn-off':
1) any guy who would be interested in you *until* finding out about your
pump may not be worth your time; 2) any guy who isn't at all curious about
the pump may not have much interest in discussing anything else of
intellectual significance. If a friend with asthma were dumped after a guy
saw her inhaler, we'd think he was lame; why should fear of guys' reactions
to bg tests, injections, or pumps affect our self-management?

Grrrl power,

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years