Re: [IPk] Re: Being attached to a pump

Hi Barbara
People don't usually notice my pump except at meals when I'm bolusing.
When I first got it I was a bit self conscious and didn't want to go into
lengthy explanations, so, depending on who asked me what it was, I either
just said "it's  a medical device" or "it's to enable me to communicate with
my alien family". The latter usually made them laugh so much they forgot to
ask any more questions! Now I usually just say "it's an insulin pump" and
don't offer any more explanation unless they ask for it. If they do I say
that I have diabetes and it keeps me alive.

At the dance competition I was taking part in on Saturday I was wearing a low
cut top and I had the pump in my bra. I did get quite a few strange looks as
I forgot that anyone taller than me could see straight down my top and see
this strange black box! So in the end I just said "well, I've got to put it
somewhere, where else would *you* put it? And anyway, why are you looking
down my top?" and that shut them up pretty quickly!

Oh, and I came 5th in the competition so I was very happy!