>Hello everyone
>I have found that I only need to give 1.0 unit through the pump per 20g CHO
>eaten.  For an apple, Danielle only needs 0.5 units.  I count the carbs in
>her meals and if I get to, say 60g, you would probably work out that I need
>to bolus 4 units for her, but I tried that and she went hypo, so I tried 3.5
>and that was still too much, so I tried 3.0 and she was coming home from
>school around 2.5 mmols.  I now never do more than 3.0 for her meals but for
>sandwiches, yoghurt and biscuit, I just give 2.5.

Er, if it's 1 unit for 20g, a meal with 60g needs only 3 units, not 4.
>Does everybody on this list weigh their food and count every single gramme
I do count every gramme, but I don't weigh stuff much, apart from pasta
and rice, which I weigh dry to get the portion sizes right.  Other stuff
I just look at the back of packets.

>Does anybody else find that they stick to a certain number of units for each

Yes and no ... I find that most days I have 20g CHO for breakfast, but
occasionally I have four or five times that amount.

>I do an extra bolus for Danielle if she has something out of the
>ordinary.  She stayed at her friend's house for tea last night and they ate
>chips and burger.  This sent her sugars all over the place by midnight and I
>couldn't control them.  She never has chips or burgers normally.

By an 'extra bolus' do you mean a second bolus, later, to cover the fat?
It's probably worth doing some experiments: choose a day with nice
stable blood glucose levels, grit your teeth, and serve burgers and

On the different times / different amounts question:

I do find I need different amounts of insulin to cover the same food at
different times of the day: 10g at breakfast needs 1.5 u, at lunch 1.
unit, and at dinner needs 0.8 now and 0.2 on an extended bolus.  I was
on the pump for over six months before my control got good enough to see

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)