[IPk] off-topic: An academic question

Dear All,

I am taking a short break from writing my thesis on brick buildings to
write a paper on diabetes and material culture.  Material culture is
academic-speak for 'stuff' or 'things'.

I've written in the past (on my web pages) about how equipment for
diabetics to use in the home changed from looking like stuff you would
find in a laboratory, to stuff you would see in a doctors' surgery, to
much closer to the stuff you would see in IKEA.

For this new paper, I'm thinking about two issues (one too many,

First: do people hang onto old equipment after they've stopped using it
regularly?  Why?  Do you hang on to old diabetes stuff in a different
way to other stuff (such as old kitchen equipment, or old clothes).

My personal answer to this is: yes, I do hang on to stuff (kitchen
stuff, clothes, diabetic stuff).  I do, very occasionally, find a use
for old kitchen stuff (the nutmeg grater is very rusty!).  I keep
clothes that I liked a lot, even though I no longer fit them.  The
diabetic stuff I start to keep through inertia.  Then it's 'a back-up'.
It's stuff that wasn't good to use at the time, and much worse than the
stuff I use now.

(If anyone is provoked by this into an act of spring cleaning, please
take a photo first, for my website, and offer it to your local museum,
or one of the medical history museums!)

Second question: do we just take what we're given?  When I was getting
close to going on a pump, I decided that I'd like the blue one.  I got
given a charcoal one.  Definitely _not_ me (I go to meetings where women
wear charcoal suits.  The nearest I've got is a green one - more usually
I wear a denim suit, or lilac jacket ....).

I have just bought my first non-standard issue pump holder.  I
commissioned it from a leather worker whose work I admired - he says
they do a line in asthma inhaler holders for reenactors.  It's tan
leather with a Yorkshire 'gripping beast' design (very degenerate - it's
got a foot, but no head).

Have other people stuck with what the company supplies, or do you use
other things?  How do those other things relate to what you use or wear
which are not associated with your diabetes?

With best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, research student in archaeology, University of York.
Yes, what diabetics do with their old equipment, and what they choose to
use is archaeology)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)