[IPk] Re: was Rhoda's hiccup - now pump advantages

I was offered the pump while I was still in the "I can't stand the
thought of having something attached to me" mode of thinking - I would
have agreed 100% with your husband at that time, and indeed I delayed
starting for several months as a result, but amazingly only days after
starting the pump I would have thought exactly otherwise.

The advantages are huge - for me the main one was having a basal
insulin rate that I can control and vary according to my immediate and
changing needs, and therefore not being at risk from hypos due to long
acting insulin continuing its inexorable irreversible activity despite
my varying my activities and requirements. The other advantage realtes
to bolusing for food and/or correction of highs - for me at least it is
so much easier to participate in meals and other social situations
involving food - just press a button and eat what I want when I want
without having to get out a pen or syringe and inject insulin.

I agree that for a teenager/young adult there could indeed be the fear
that having something attached will be off-putting for potential
partners, but with most sets it is possible, for 'intimate' situations,
temporarily to disconnect the pump and tubing, just leaving the very
small discrete set attached. I guess that sets may be developed that
are even smaller and more discrete in the future, which would help in
this context.

> I am interested to learn how you are doing because Danielle started
> the day
> before you (although you went on insulin sooner).  Danielle's sites
> are
> changed every 3rd evening (before bed) and she has had no problems
> yet but I
> always put a blob of Germolene on just in case.  I wondered how you
> would
> insert the site at the back just below your knicker line?  Danielle
> prefers
> her infusion sets to be there because she feels they get in the way
> in her
> stomach.  I also would like to ask you how you feel about inserting
> the
> silhouettes into yourself.  I have just cancelled my appointment to
> see a
> diabetologist about a pump for myself because I am not ready yet.  I
> want to
> get Danielle running smoothly and then maybe try it myself.  I just
> wondered
> if you could tell me what made you decide to go on a pump.  Did you
> try MDI
> (which I assume is more than 2 injections per day)?  I have
> rearranged the
> appointment for mid January.  I have other problems as well and the
> pump was
> going to be a measure of helping me in other areas.  I find that I am
> trying
> so hard to get my daughter's diabetes under control and forgetting
> about
> myself.  I know people will probably say that I need to get myself
> sorted
> before I can help her, but it is damn hard work.  OK, when she is
> stable on
> the pump, I will try to sort myself out.  My husband told me that, if
> he was
> diabetic, he wouldn't like a pump attached to himself and he also
> said that
> he thinks that Danielle will feel the same when she is older.  He
> does agree,
>  however that her health will be much better on the pump but he
> thinks that
> she might change her mind when she is older.  I told him that there
> might be
> another answer for it when she is old enough not to want it, if that
> was the
> case, but I am going to keep her this way for the control aspect of
> it.
> At the end of the day, did you choose your pump because you had
> problems
> associated with diabetes or did you choose it because of quality of
> life?  I
> don't know what to do to be honest.  I would like one but I am not
> sure if I
> would manage two in one house.
> Your comments would be appreciated.

Nanette (Chana) Freedman, Ph.D.
Hadassah University Hospital
Department of Medical Biophysics and Nuclear Medicine
Kiryat Hadassah, P.O.B. 12000, 91120 Jerusalem, ISRAEL
Tel:972 2 6776 720, Fax: 972 2 6421 203 - work
Tel:972 2 5636 174, Fax: 972 2 5619 235 - home
Email: email @ redacted, email @ redacted

Do You Yahoo!?