Re: [IPk] Re: Funding

email @ redacted writes:

> .  I wouldn't come off the pump for even two weeks because the difference
> the thing has madeto my life over the past few months has been
> unbelievable.  I would go so far as to say I have lost many years of my
> life because of the diabetes.  Before I went on the pump I thought the
> problems I had were just me: Moods, vision, pains that couldn't be
> diagnosed etc etc.  Since been on hte pump my HBA1c has come down from 8.9
> to 6.5 at the last count and thats in less than a year.  I don't need to
> get up to pee during the night.  I wake up alive rather than staggering
> around for the first few mins as though I were half drunk.  Loads of other
> stuff too.
Julian, that says it!

May I share my experience?

The pump has changed my life too.  My last HbA1c was 7.4 (I was usually
getting values between 9 and 12).  Not only that - as many have mentioned,
the pump flattens out results - before, I'd maybe get an average "dreadful"
bg of 12 (if I was lucky!) mmol/l, but the fact I'd been swinging between bgs
of 2 and 30 would not be recognised.  I don't get this any more, the pump has
made the difference.  I have most of the complications in the book, which
really could have been avoided if I'd been on a pump for the last 10 - 15
years. Perhaps it's because I'm now 30 years down the line that I too can't
get funding.  I work part-time these days, partly because of visual problems,
and funding could make a real difference.

Best wishes,

IDDM 30+, 508 2yrs